Thursday, January 21, 2016

Tweeting banks for Iowa

I wrote the below email to help@berniesanders.com, urging that there be added to Bernie's Volunteer Toolkit a "tweeting bank" tool. Things are happening very fast, there are only ten days until the Iowa caucuses, the campaign organization is probably overwhelmed, and the "tweeting banks" idea may not get responded to quickly. I will put the idea out for whoever wants to pick up on it for Iowa during the next ten days. I will try to lay out specific "tweeting bank" suggestions in subsequent postings or updates of this blog entry.

From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 5:07 PM
Subject: Adding "tweeting banks" to Volunteer Organizing Toolkit
To: help@berniesanders.com
Dear Sir:
I think you should add a "tweeting bank" tool to the Volunteer Organizing Toolkit.
The "tweeting bank" tool I am suggesting involves a non-standard use of Twitter, namely, the sending of very large numbers of individually directed tweets to users of "relevant" Twitter hashtags (such as #DemDebate) or to followers of the Twitter accounts of other persons who are "relevant" (such as a local political party Twitter account).
I have been using and developing this method of tweeting for more than a year.
I have staked out a ground with Twitter for this method of tweeting. See letter to Twitter @Support.
The object of this method of tweeting is to break out of like minded social media circles in order to "push out" messaging to a wider audience. For discussion of this, please read Breaking out of like minded social media circles.
For an example of this method of tweeting that I used this past weekend, see my blog entry Travels with Bernie.
Last July I contacted a few state and local Sanders groups that had formed around the country and proposed that the groups seek to get members of the group (the "tweeting bank") to use the method of tweeting in question for "pushing out" certain Sanders campaign messaging in their area. The proposal is set out in Proposed messaging re: Congress.
Important elements of a "tweeting bank" include developing the messaging that is sought to be "pushed out" (including both tweet messages and also webpages that would be included as links in the tweets and that would expand the messaging to recipients who click on the links and go to the webpages), and also identifying who will be the targets of the tweeting.
I personally am mainly interested in messaging that promotes #DeclareForDemocracy, and it would be great if Senator Sanders decided that he wanted to make promotion of #DeclareForDemocracy part of his campaign.
I don't claim any rights to the tweeting method in question, and the Sanders campaign is at liberty to employ the method for any campaign messaging it chooses, and by whatever "tweeting banks" the campaign wants to set up.
My only request is that you advise me of whatever decision you make to include, or not include, "tweeting banks" as part of the Volunteer Organizing Toolkit.
If you wish to discuss with me this "tweeting banks" idea, I can be reached at (205) 967-5586.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,

UPDATE:
The Sanders campaign Help Desk replied to me that the "tweeting banks" idea was being passed to the campaign for review. With the shortness of time until February 1st, I am prepared to try to get started. As a first step, please go to this google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/2016congressionalcandidatesdeclarations. I think the group is public for viewing purposes. Read the topic Sanders IOWA tweeting bank #1, and make comments on same. I think you have to be a member of the group to make comments, so please apply.

UPDATE #2
There have been over 300 page views of this blog entry. There have been numerous retweets, likes, etc. There have been only 4 page views of the google group topic Sanders IOWA tweeting bank #1 topic. I have decided to get started with a generic Iowa tweeting bank. See The IOWA tweeting bank. If the Sanders campaign or any Sanders supporters wish to develop a more specific Sanders IOWA tweeting bank, I will be pleased to work with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment