Saturday, February 27, 2016

For what it's worth

To: Campaign finance reformers

I haven't gotten much feedback about what are effective ways for getting messaging out.

I don't have money to spend for getting messaging out.

As to Twitter and FB, I have tried to argue at length in favor of Breaking out of like minded social media circles.

The Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump candidacies have engendered enormous interest and passion among the citizens, and their attentions are extremely aroused currently about matters political.

This, it seems to me, makes for excellent opportunity for getting our messaging in front of eyeballs.

That opportunity is all the greater because of the extent Bernie Sanders has made money in politics a prime, if not the number one, issue in his campaign.

I have used the technique of sending large numbers of individually directed tweets to users of Twitter hashtags and Twitter follower and following lists, which tweets contain links to this blog. This has ostensibly been effective in getting tweet recipients to click on links to this blog. This blog was started in November, and there have now been over 30,000 page views.

In this technique I believe I am significantly pushing my messaging outside of "like minded social media circles" and getting it to new persons who have not previously received tweets from me.

I acknowledge that I have also done a lot of repeat tweeting.

While this may sound like objectionable "spamming," unless and until Twitter shuts me down, I don't think I am going to abandon my technique.

I have staked out a ground with Twitter, which I think gives good justification. See Twitter @Support.

As regards the repeat tweeting I do, maybe if you want to communicate something to other people, you are satisfied by sending a general tweet, and your followers will receive the communication. For better or worse, I don't consider that satisfactory for my purpose.

I have received very few complaints about my tweeting, a few people have blocked me (which I think is the appropriate handling for anyone who does not want to receive tweets from me), and, all in all, I want to get my messaging out and I think this is the best way for doing it.

To give you a concrete sense, as I did yesterday, today I am tweeting, to users of hashtags #feelthebern and #scprimary, this:
Dear Senator Sanders, please help our country fix Congress by endorsing DeclareForDemocracy. http://2016candidatesdeclarations.blogspot.com/2016/02/are-we-going-to-be-contender.html
Further, through Tuesday, I also expect to send tweets to users of  the hashtags #SuperTuesday and #SECPrimary. I don't plan to limit my tweets to Sanders supporters, and I plan to tweet to supporters of all the other Presidential candidates as well.

To my knowledge, no campaign finance reform organization has advocated that my tweeting technique be utilized by their followers. Maybe no organization is going to advocate that.

That's ok. The organizations have to decide what kind of messaging they are going to do, or try to do, to publicize themselves and what they are doing and want people to do to advance the organizations' objectives. The organizations try to get in the public eye, and that certainly contributes to getting their messaging out. Expanding the organizations' social media circles is also beneficial.

Compared to those methods of getting messaging out, one person alone, such as myself, is near zero in effect. Now, if the organizations had 50 or a 100 followers doing this kind of tweeting, maybe that would be worthwhile, but maybe the organizations just cannot get their followers to do this kind of tweeting. I get that very easily.

Just want to write and disseminate this for what it's worth.

And, oh yeh, I am in a Super Tuesday state and here is some of the messaging going on here:

Kinda makes me want to be more furious in my tweeting. How about you?

3/1/16
See More for what it's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment